Thursday, May 3, 2012

Vintage Jewelry...Perceptions

Vintage 1970s Set Necklace and Earrings "1928" Brand

The older I get, the more I realize that I AM GETTING OLDER! When I start hearing about things from the 1970s and 1980s being vintage...I kind of cringe. Not because it is not deserving of being called vintage, but because I actually remember wearing the styles when they first came out! What??!!! Seems like it was just yesterday that I was wearing a set of 1928 Brand jewelry in high school. Then it hits me...Uh..OK...that was 35 years ago. OMG...That makes me old! Noooooo! Funny, but when I think of myself, I still think of the younger me. Then I get that reality check when I look into the mirror. LOL

Vintage 1980s Cloisonne Earrings
The funny thing is, that looking back to when I was in my 20's, it seemed like WWII happened 100 years before I was born. Then it hit me. Like a light bulb moment...it was less than 20 years before I was born. It was all in my perception! The Art Deco era seemed ancient to me. It fascinated me because it was "so long ago". In reality, it was not that long ago. My grandparents lived during that era. The Great Depression. WWII. Funny how I thought of my grandparents as old. HA! Payback is hell! Now my niece and nephews think that I was around in "the olden days". The 1960s, 1970s and 1980s seem like ancient times to them!

Vintage 1970s Cloisonne Bangle Bracelet
So now I have resigned myself to accepting the fact that these items from the 70s, 80s and even early 90s are vintage. I am embracing the fact that I lived through those decades. (Only by the grace of God though...because those were some wild times...lol....ah...memories...but I digress.) So if you are looking for vintage jewelry from these eras...stop by my shop, Wicked Darling.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)




1 comment: